We are working with education and healthcare professionals to ensure that our research findings are shared and applied to practice. Our current activities are listed below.
Magazine Articles and Blogs
- Nursery World Magazine articles
- English & Media Centre eMagazine articles
- The Conversation articles
- Blog: How to choose and evaluate interventions for promoting language skills
- Watch our series of short talks about how children learn to communicate with language.
- Read our evidence briefings outlining what actually works and debunking common myths about child language development.
- Read case studies showcasing our work with practitioners and highlighting the importance of good quality monitoring, evaluation and training in the early years.
Working with Nurseries in the North West
We are working with nurseries in Stockport, Lancaster and Sefton to explore how we can support them to create a language enriched environment and design small research projects to address specific questions they have about language and communicative development.
We have shared some of our research findings with nursery practitioners in the area at their annual conference 2016.
Working with Speech and Language Therapists
We have developed a workshop on specific research techniques for speech and language therapists, in collaboration with the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists. Where possible, we will share any relevant materials from on our website, including comprehension and elicitation materials our researchers use that could be of use to SLTs. We have also delivered webinars as part of #SLTLearn.
- The Communication Trust's resources for practitioners.
- The National Literacy Trust's resources for early years sector.
- The Notts Language for Life programme's resources for practitioners.
- ICAN's Talking Point website has lots of useful resources including an ages and stages summary detailing the speech and language skills most children demonstrate at different ages.