We have produced a number of free resources on child language development for parents and people working with young children. These are made available on this page and can be shared freely.
- Nursery World Magazine articles
- English & Media Centre eMagazine articles
- The Conversation articles
- BBC Tiny Happy People articles
- Watch our series of short talks about how children learn to communicate with language.
Webchats with our researchers
- A number of our researchers have been taken part in live webchats about child language development. Read the transcripts from these live chats.
What do babies know when?
- Our Stages of Language Development resource highlights some interesting facts about what typically developing children know about language at different ages from 0-2 years. Based on the Stages of Language Development materials, our LuCiD team has created two short family friendly videos.
Our very own Prof Ben Ambridge presents a series of short films for BBC Tiny Happy People on baby development and language milestones. Each of the five short videos covers a communication milestone from a baby's first year and explains the science behind it. Watch all the videos here or jump to the milestone that interests you the most below:
Language Development Milestones
How does it come about that within the first few years of a child's life, babies master language - one of the most complex phenomena.The following two short videos will take you on a journey through your child's language development in the first two years of life.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- See our FAQs page. If your question isn't there, get in touch with us to ask your question.